Monday, May 16, 2011

Project Update: More Layout Progress

Alright, time for another update on how the layout is coming.  Honestly, I have not had a lot of time lately to work on it because I have been working on the real railroad.  In the past week, we have had flash flood warnings, high wind warnings, a derailment, the BNSF business train, a washout, and all the other typical railroading things.  I'll talk more about those in my Prototype Railroading posts.  Let's talk about model railroading though.  Unfortunately, I still have not started on construction.  Planning continues, and I have made a few small changes to the overall plan.

Lately, I have been working on making templates for the various buildings I would like to use.  I have looked through the Walthers Reference Book for ideas, and I have talked to Steven a lot, as he has built a couple model railroads.  Because of the size of my railroad, it is just going to be an industrial railroad.  The primary activity will be to switch cars at various industries on the line.  The line will connect to a staging/storage yard, which is where the cars will come from.  There is also a junction with a two track main line, which would also connect to the rest of the world.  Before I continue explaining what I am thinking, let me share a picture.


There are probably a few changes you have noticed from the last update.  First off, I  found I could make the side with the main line on it a bit narrower.  The main line was going to be towards the back of the railroad anyway, so I figured I could move it closer to the front by simply eliminating some of the extra space in front of the main tracks.  The black shapes are new, and represent buildings.  Close to the bottom of the photo is where the passenger station will go.  Up in the top left there will be a grain elevator.  I found two that I liked, and I wanted to see which one would fit better, which is why there are two templates up there.  Eventually, only one will actually go in there.  To the right of the grain elevator will be an oil loading facility for tank cars.  Further to the right there will be an open air transloading facility for a lumber yard.  Above that transloading facility I am considering putting a scrap yard, but I have not yet worked out how much space it will take and where exactly the track to it will go.

I want to get a few things planned out a little better, and then start building.  Before I start construction, I need to get some tools though.  I have hand tools, but for building the bench work, I would like to have some power tools.  So I am still a few steps away from beginning construction, but this is where I am at now.  I am excited to keep going with this project and finally be able to have a model railroad!

No comments: