Friday, July 1, 2011

Photo of the Week: 7/1/2011

Today is Friday, so it's time for another Photo of the Week. I am writing several of these today, to automatically post on following Fridays while I'm on my rail trip, so I will still be posting to the blog even when I don't have internet. Kinda cool huh?

Anyways, looking through past photos, I realized it has been months since I posted a photo from the Hobo/Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroads in New Hampshire, and I have never posted one of the caboose train. So that is what I'll do this week. Here is the photo:



In December of 2009, I got a heads-up when the caboose train was running. I was living near Laconia at the time, so I chased it through the Laconia area. It ran north to Lincoln on Friday night, it snowed Saturday, and the train ran south to Tilton on Sunday afternoon. This photo is from Sunday, looking railroad south from across the tracks from the Laconia train station.

The caboose train is not actually open for the public. A group of caboose owners have a couple sidings at the old Tilton/Northfield freight house, and park their cabeese there. About once a month, except during the winter, they run the whole train either north to Lincoln or south to Concord. In December the train stops at a Christmas tree farm and the caboose owners get to pick out a Christmas tree to bring home with them.

I think owning a caboose or an old railroad car would be cool. You could join a group like this, or if the car is Amtrak certified, you can tour the country in your own private railcar. However, that is a hobby for people with a much fatter wallet than me!

No comments: