Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Prototype Railroading: The Grip

Each railroader carries a bag, known as a grip, which contains pretty much everything he or she might need during a tour of duty.  I thought I would take you on a tour of mine.

First of all, my grip is a super tough bag from Red Oxx.  I have to put in a quick plug for them, because their bags are quite indestructible.  And if you do manage to destroy it somehow, or even just wear it out, they have an unconditional lifetime warranty.  Just send it in, and they'll repair or replace it free.  I know, it sounds too good to be true, but this is the rare exception where it is actually true.

The most important thing in my grip, bar nothing, is food.  I am probably going to get a separate lunch box, but for now, the food is in my grip.  I always carry a few drinks, snacks, munchies, and actual lunch food, such as sandwiches, cold pizza, salad, and just about anything else I can think of that does not need to be heated to eat.  There is a refrigerator on the locomotive, so I do bring cold items, but I do not yet have a way to heat things, unless we happen to get a Canadian locomotive.  That is rare, but they do have hot plates in them.  I would like to get a Jetboil for heating food.  That would be really nice to have, especially come winter and cold weather.  A hot meal can be a real luxury on a freight train.

I carry a collection of items in my grip that I use every day, or almost every day.  This includes clear and tinted safety glasses, work gloves, a reflective orange safety vest, a lantern, and my portable radio.  In cold weather, I carry insulated work gloves, rather than the standard ones.  I also carry a lining for the insulated ones.  I also have a clipboard with storage.  It opens up to hold paperwork, and has a clipboard on the outside.  That is how I carry my paperwork on and off of trains without mashing it all up.  In there I also carry about a dozen spare pens, because the one you're using always dies at the least opportune moment!  Additionally I also carry a spare lantern battery and a spare radio battery.  Those also have a habit of going bad at the least convenient time.

There is a larger collection of items in my grip that do not get used every day.  They are there just so that I am prepared for the unusual.  They are the sort of items you do not want to have to use, but if you have to use them, you want to be sure you have them!  These items include an infrared thermometer, for checking the temperature of warm and overheated wheel bearings, a stick of wax, commonly called a "crayon," which is also used to check bearing temperatures.  If the wax melts when touched against the wheel bearing, then the bearing is too hot.  I also carry ear plugs, for when I get a particularly loud locomotive cab, or when I am working outside for longer than usual.  I also carry a pair of channel lock pliers, for removing the cotter pin that keeps a coupler knuckle pin in place.  I only have to use those when we break a knuckle.  I also carry several spare air hose gaskets and some keepers, which are straps and clips used to hold the air hoses high enough above the rails so they do not hit the rails or track.  I also carry my rule book in my grip.  That is the largest and heaviest item in there, and it never gets used.  I would like to take it out, but we are required to have it within easy access any time we are on duty.

Besides the items in my grip, I also have a switch key and a Leatherman on me when I go to work.  I also pack spare clothes and toiletries in my grip, for when I am away from home, and other little things I might need away from home, such as my phone charger.  With all of that stuff, I am ready for most things the railroad throws my way.

No comments: