Friday, September 23, 2011

Photo of the Week: 9/23/2011

Today's photo comes from the Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine. I haven't posted a photo from there in a while, so I thought I'd do it again. I took this photo two years ago, when the museum inaugurated locomotive 100 after a complete restoration. They ran a short parade in honor of the locomotive, and anyone who wanted to photograph the parade could get on the last car which would drop them off here at this field. I chose to do this, and took photos of all the cars as they went by. This is Wheeling, WV car 639, which at the time had been a month out of the shop after a 35 year restoration period. Here is the photo:



The pumpkins are there for the Pumpkin Patch event, which was scheduled for the next day. I did not go that year, but I have gone in the past. You get on board your trolley, which drops you off at this field, which is filled with pumpkins and paints and other decorating supplies. You get to pick out a pumpkin, decorate it, and then you get a baggage claim for it. The pumpkins are loaded onto a post office trolley that the museum has, and brought back to the visitor's center. You can keep going to the end of the line, or go back to the museum and look around at the visitor's center or at the collection, or whatever else you want to do. When you are ready to go home, you turn in your baggage claim, and your pumpkin is found and brought to you to take home with you. It is a lot of fun, especially for kids, and gives the museum an excuse to use their mail car.

Pumpkin Patch is always the last weekend of September and the first weekend of October. This year, Pumpkin Patch starts is on Saturday, September 24; Sunday, September 25; Saturday, October 1; and Sunday, October 2. If you are looking for something to do this weekend or next weekend, I recommend this event. Visit www.trolleymuseum.org for more info and driving directions. I am planning on going on September 24, so if you recognize me from the photo of me on all my articles, don't be afraid to say hi!

No comments: