Friday, June 10, 2011

Photo of the Week: 6/10/2011

It's Friday again, and this week we are once again visiting the Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine. Last summer I brought my friend Kierra there for her birthday. I had signed her up for the Be-A-Motorman (BAM) program, where an instructor teaches her the basics of operating the streetcars and takes her out on the main line with her at the controls. I rode along with my camera as she brought us to Talbott Park at the end of the main line.



We got there at about 1:00. Kierra's instructor, Rob, brought us aboard Dallas, TX car 434 and showed Kierra the controls and explained what each one does and how to use them. When it was time for the next run, Kierra pulled the car ahead in the loop so the car for the public, Connecticut open car 303, could pull up to the platform and let the passengers board. The dispatcher gave us clearance to Talbott Park, and we were off. The ride was a little rough, but that is to be expected with a first time operator. 434 is a very gentle car to operate, so it was a much smoother ride than my first time at the controls of a trolley!

At Talbott Park, Rob asked me if I wanted to run the car back to the Visitor's Center. I of course agreed, and when 303 appeared at Talbott Park I brought the car back down the hill. It was nice being at the controls again. Back at the Visitor's Center, I showed Kierra around the museum and told her about the different trolleys on display there. Afterwards, Rob asked us if we wanted to go out again. Of course we said yes, and Kierra once again brought 434 up the hill and I brought it back down.

I am a member there, so being at the controls was not a new experience for me, but it was still fun to do it again. I had served as conductor on several BAMs before, but I had never bought one for someone. It was all new for Kierra, however, as she had never even been on a rail vehicle before. Not many people can say the first time they rode a train was when they were at the controls! She had a great time there, and I think it was well worth the money and the drive. If you're looking for something to do for the special railfan in your life, I would highly recommend a Be-A-Motorman program or something similar at your local museum or tourist line.

No comments: