Friday, June 17, 2011

Photo of the Week: 6/17/2011

Today is Friday, which means it's time for a photo again! With Father's Day coming up this weekend, I wanted to post a photo of my dad with trains...but since he is extremely camera shy, I have very few photos of him with a train and he probably wouldn't appreciate having his photo on the internet! Instead, I will borrow one of his photos for this week. In 2003, my dad, James, myself, and my younger brother, Michael, all went to Pennsylvania for a few days. We stopped at Gettysburg, which is always a nice place to visit, but our ultimate destination was Altoona. We spent our time there exploring the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum and watching the endless stream of trains at Horseshoe Curve just outside Altoona. This photo is from that location.


I am on the left, James is in the middle, and our younger brother Michael is on the right. I was 12 when this photo was taken in August of 2003. This was shortly after the Conrail split, so Norfolk Southern had taken over operating this line, but there was still plenty of Conrail blue running around. This was also when Amtrak was still running mail and express service, so the Three Rivers was running several times a day, instead of today's once-daily Pennsylvanian.

I remember this trip pretty well. I was no photographer back then, so my photos really aren't that great. I would love to go back out there. Pennsylvania has a lot for railroading, including Altoona and Horseshoe Curve, Steamtown, several trolley museums, and a portion of the Northeast Corridor. I could easily spend a week at Altoona alone, but I would love to go back and visit the other places as well.

No comments: