Friday, June 3, 2011

Photo of the Week: 6/3/2011

It's Friday, which means it's time for another photo! Today's photo, however, is a little different than usual...I have a little surprise for all you readers! Well, without going into too much detail and spoiling the surprise, here is the photo:




Yup, that's a 30 day USA Rail Pass and a nice thick wad of Amtrak tickets. In one month from today, July 3, I will be boarding the Lake Shore Limited in Boston. That will arrive in Chicago, where I will board the Empire Builder for Williston, ND, to visit James for two weeks. Amtrak doesn't stop in Glendive, where James lives. Glendive is on the old Northern Pacific, Amtrak's Empire Builder follows the old Great Northern.

After visiting James for about two weeks, I will board the Empire Builder at Williston, and take it to Portland, where I will get the Coast Starlight to Davis, CA. I have a friend who lives in Davis, who will take me in for a couple days, while I ride the Capitol Corridor to Jack London Square and explore San Francisco for a day. After that, I will board the California Zephyr in Davis...but not to go home quite yet. I will take the California Zephyr to a town called Galesburg, IL, where I will board the Southwest Chief for Los Angeles. In Los Angeles, I will get the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle for Chicago, by way of San Antonio. Once I reach Chicago, I will once again board the Lake Shore Limited for Boston, and come back home.

The whole trip will be 29 days, and I anticipate visiting at least 26 states in that time. I will see the "Badlands" of North Dakota and Montana, visit Portland and San Francisco, go through the Sierra Nevadas and the Rocky Mountains, in Colorado, cross the plains, see the deserts of New Mexico and Arizona, visit Los Angeles, and spend 36 hours crossing Texas. I will spend several nights on the train, spend countless hours in the lounge car with the giant floor-to-ceiling windows, eat dinner in the diner, and meet new people. I think it should be a fun trip.

As far as the blog is concerned, I will write some of the regular blog posts before I leave to go up automatically on their scheduled days. I will also do a new story in the blog about my rail adventure, but those posts will have no set schedule because it just depends on where I can find internet. But I will keep all you readers up to date as to where I am and what I'm doing, as often as I can!

No comments: